Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Barefoot's Cheddar Dill Scones

I absolutely was not going to post this recipe. Then I cut up the 3 sticks of butter this recipe calls for and said to myself, "I have to post about this." No matter what you throw 3 sticks of butter into, it's going to be amazing. These scones didn't let me down.

I don't know how many of you know about Barefoot Contessa, but from my inaugural post, you know I love her. This recipe is one of her classics that she has featured in her newest cookbook as well as on the Food Network website.

I just made them and loved them so much, I thought I'd take some pictures of the whole thing. Just for giggles. I really hope you try - they're SO good. They make the house smell amazing and freeze really well.

Three glorious sticks of cold, cold butter. Diced. This, people, is the inspiration for the post. You could throw 3 sticks of butter on a rollerskate and it would be delicious.


Measure out your dry and mix together quickly in the mixer. I sifted..it's not necessary.

Buttermilk. And if you don't have any, I've heard from a certain Pioneer Woman you can mix regular milk and some white vinegar together as a substitute. Voila!
Blend the butter/flour mixture until it looks like wet sand. The butter should be in about pea sized pieces.
Send your eggs on a date w/ the buttermilk. Whisk together..




Dill. You need about 1 cup. A whole cup! I get some cheap herbs from H Mart (a Korean grocery store) and a huge package of dill was less than $2. This recipe makes a TON of scones so cutting the recipe in half is no big deal. But make the full amout, they freeze super well.
Freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese w/ flour mixed in..
Then mix the dill into the cheese.. Dill smells so good. Almost floral to me. I never use dill but I should. And I can eat the hell out of these scones. They're great w/ soup.



Then mix the buttermilk/egg mix into the flour/butter mixture. I took the flour/butter mixture WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too far. I came back and it was almost all stuck together..NOT wet sand. Needless to say, the scones still turned out fine, just be a little more careful. I think I was busy petting the dogs or something..
Not so pretty after you add the buttermilk/egg. But don't worry! Everything will be fine.
Mix the cheese/dill mixture into the first mixture. It's going to be a pretty wet dough. I added lots of extra flour so they wouldn't stick when rolling.
Dump onto your kneading surface and make sure it's well floured. You'll have some scone stuck to your counter for a year if you don't.
Roll that puppy out and admire all the wonderful flecks of dill in the scone. Fantastic.
I could print this out and make it the wallpaper in my kitchen.
Cut into 4" x 3" rectangles, then cut diagonally to make these pretty triangles.
Brush w/ eggwash to make so pretty.
Just beautiful!
Bake in the oven and try not to mash your face against your oven door.
They smell SO good. They made the house smell fantastic. Make these instead of buying one of those air fresheners.
The scones were intoxicating enough to lure even the most savage of beasts into your kitchen.
Actually, it doesn't take much to lure these savage beasts.
Golden brown bubbly deliciousness.










The recipe directly from the Food Network Website:

Ingredients

4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
4 extra-large eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 pound extra-sharp yellow Cheddar, small-diced
1 cup minced fresh dill
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk, for egg wash

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine 4 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Mix the eggs and heavy cream and quickly add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Combine until just blended. Toss together the Cheddar, dill, and 1 tablespoon of flour and add them to the dough. Mix until they are almost incorporated.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it for 1 minute, until the Cheddar and dill are well distributed. Roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch squares and then in half diagonally to make triangles. Brush the tops with egg wash. Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outside is crusty and the inside is fully baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment