Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Greek Breakfast Pizza

Gabe and I got married a few years ago. Just like any other bride-to-be, I had what may be the most motivating factor in weight loss: wedding photos. Dun-dun-DUUUUUN!

So, just like anyone who's getting ready to do the weight loss thing, I jumped on the fad diet. My poison of choice? South Beach, baby!

I fell off that wagon not but a few months after the wedding but, I will say that I took away several habits from the South Beach Diet that I still follow to this day. This breakfast pizza is hands down my absolute favorite thing I learned from the book.

Of course, I jazzed this puppy up with some bacon and mushrooms which the original recipe does not, but you can definitely omit. Gabe won't eat it w/o the bacon though so that's my excuse for using the bacon.



Greek Breakfast Pizza
Adapted from The South Beach Diet book

Serves 2

1 whole wheat pocket pita
3 slices bacon, optional
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
4 c. pre-washed baby spinach
1 green onion, sliced
1 Roma tomato
2 oz. feta cheese
2 eggs
garlic powder, optional
salt, pepper, olive oil

*Note: pitas freeze really well!






Slice the pita in half horizontally. Put the cup sides up and toast.





I use my toaster oven.


Bacon. The root of all that is good in this world. We use three slices in our household.

Cut the bacon into little pieces - about 1/2"


Throw them into a cold non-stick pan to render a little bit of grease. The pan should be on medium to medium high heat.

If you're using uncooked bacon, just brown and drain off the grease into a bowl and whatever sticks in the pan, just leave it. Cut up the bacon and proceed as follows!



While the bacon heats up, get the mushrooms sliced. I use criminis, as always!




There we go. Give up that yummy porky goodness.




Throw into the pan and toss until the mushrooms get slightly browned.




I like using some green onions, just a small handful for flavor.


Then we have the triple washed baby spinach. You can use frozen chopped if you have it.



When the mushrooms look like this:



Go ahead and add the spinach:


Looks like a lot of spinach, but you know how spinach wilts down to nothing.

Going..



Going.....

Wilted. Add 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and a dash of garlic powder.

Here's the pita all toasty and a little crunchy.

Golden brown edges. Look for those, people. Creates a nice texture contrast.


Throw in those green onions and toss.


So put the spinach mixture onto the pitas and throw into the toaster oven to warm.



I use the same non-stick pan. Dish tyranny, remember?




Crack the egg. Crack iiiit.


Look at those pretty eggs.


Slice the tomato, 1/4" thick. Thicker if you like.

Pretty.

Then the feta. Yummy yummy feta. Please don't use the crumbled stuff, it's so bland compared to the blocks.



Don't forget to salt & pepper the eggs, for the love of god. Gabe's been cooking eggs for years and still can't remember that very important step.

Put the slices onto the pizzas and then..


Crumble the feta on top of the tomatoes and throw it back into the toaster oven to get warmed through.

Cook your eggs how you like, but I like when the edges get a little crunchy but the yolk is still runny.


Bonus: Use the top of the toaster oven to warm your plates!

That cheese gets all warm and the tomatoes too. DE-lish.


Then, throw the egg on top.

Add some orange slices.


Gabe calls them the Sydney Opera House oranges.


See the resemblence?


Dig in. Thank me later.

Make this for a brunch party - they'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment