Monday, March 22, 2010

Comfort Food - Eggs & Rice

Growing up, I had pretty specific tastes. I never liked eggs or milk. My mom said I didn't like eggs because I was born in the year of the chicken. She tells me lots of crazy things that don't make much sense. I can't explain why I didn't like milk as a child either. Maybe because Allen (middle brother) always stole my bottle and I never got the chance to get used to cow juice. I know I drank apple or orange juice - which I'm thinking he liked as well. My mom says he really loved milk though. He used to steal my bottle and hide behind the sofa with it.

Exhibit A:


Notice the coy, "She'll never notice if I'm super stealth and quiet" look on his face.

I only had one exhibit.

My taste for eggs didn't actually change until I was an adult though. I love milk now too. To me, rice & eggs are comfort food and this is one of my favorite things to eat. Did you really need a recipe to cook this up? Probably not. But maybe you have all these ingredients in your house but never thought to put them all together? Maybe?? What absolutely makes this dish is the sesame oil. If you don't have any or haven't ever used it, go get some. It's used as a condiment, not as a cooking oil or anything. It's very fragrant and nutty - I loooove sesame oil. Mmm!

Make sure you already have some leftover rice or cook some rice up and have it standing by. Once the egg is done, this comes together pretty quick.

Heat skillet. Crack egg.
I put a little pepper on mine, you don't need salt since you'll be adding soy sauce for seasoning.

Egg is cooked, sides are browned.

Serve over rice.
Sprinkle w/ sesame seeds, totally optional.

Sprinkle w/ green onions.
Add soy sauce

Add sesame oil.
Voila.

Rice & Eggs

serves 1


1 c. cooked rice, I prefer Jasmine
1 egg (more if you're hungry!)
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. sesame seeds, optional
1 tbsp. green onions, sliced & optional
pepper to taste

Fry up an egg - if you don't like the sunny side up, over easy works great too. To serve, put the cooked egg on the heated rice. Garnish with soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, green onions & pepper. When mixing the sesame oil, egg yolk and soy sauce, it makes this great sauce that compliments the fragrant rice really well.

Hope you try it and leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...looks yummy. During high school and my poor college days, I used to scramble some eggs and placed them on top of ramen noodles. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete