Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quinoa Pudding w/ Strawberries

Has quinoa become the next big thing? I kept hearing more and more things about it. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I decided to get a cup at Top which happens to have a super bulk food section. Then the quinoa proceeded to sit in my pantry for 2 months.

Normally, I don't associate quinoa as a sweet dish. I've only ever seen it prepared as a savory side dish so of course, nothing would motivate me more than hearing about some creamy dessert w/ quinoa.

Isn't it pretty? You can cook it up like rice too - 1:2 ratio. I cooked it in the rice cooker and it came out beautifully.

For this, you'll need 1 c. quinoa.

Then the good stuff. 1 c. heavy cream.

Add that to 3 cups of milk. I used 2%. In fact, I always use 2% milk when cooking and baking.

Whisk together and bring to a simmer.

While that's coming up to temperature, get your vanilla bean and split & scrape the pod.

With the back of the knife, folks. Don't learn the hard way like me.

Mix them into the milk mixture. Throw the emptied pod in there too for good measure.
Then some of the sweet stuff. Just a 1/4 c.

Then take your 1 c. strawberries and slice.
And add about 1 tbsp. sugar, mix. Let them start getting all yummy.
Macerating. That's the technical term for it. Thank you Food Network.
When the cream mixture comes to a simmer, whisk in your quinoa.

Now be patient. This stuff needs to lightly simmer for about 30 minutes.
And you need to stir occasionally.
Look at those pretty vanilla bean seeds. I love them.
After about 30 minutes, your strawberries will have made this lovely syrup.


30 minutes later, you'll get a tapioca like result. Only more healthy than tapioca. I imagine there's a good amount of protein in quinoa compared to tapioca.
Fish out your pod. Nobody wants to eat that.

Portion into 5-6 half cup portions. Sprinkle w/ macerated strawberries.
Quinoa Pudding with Strawberries

I had to try this recipe from this awesome blog
Hope you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment