Monday, April 26, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I have a hard time buying foods I know how to make. I'm just cheap that way. The girls at work are forever eating hummus and I'm always mentally commenting, "Ooh, hummus. That sounds good." But then I never make it. I'm also lazy that way.

I'm also a strong believer in putting better ingredients into foods so I'm not eating all that processed crap. Don't get me wrong, I still love processed food (Doritos will be in heaven if I get there), I just want to eat less and less of it in our diet. Lord help me when this summer rolls around though. I'm planning on making my own ice cream.

I forgot to include the e.v. olive oil in the photo. Whoopsie.
Some people use that liquid in the dip. I don't know, I just don't like the thick consistency or something.
And I've rinsed these before and this foamy stuff always appears...just unappetizing to me.
There. Much better.
Dump into the food processor. Do you see that little green thing out of focus? I don't know what it was. Probably an unripened bean or something. And that's why you rinse.

Costco sells these big jars of fire roasted red peppers. Yes!

Some tahini, gotta have it for hummus.


I just chop the garlic clove into some smaller pieces, just to give the food processor a head start.
Salt & pepper.
Then I was wondering why it was so thick & it wouldn't blend.
Duh, I forgot the olive oil.
There we go.
Now we're getting there.
Now scrape down the sides.
Preferably w/ your customized spatula. Tien rocks.
Adjust for seasoning. Pulse to blend.
I like to put it in a jar and cover w/ a little olive oil.
So pretty. Enjoy!
All I had was tortilla chips but normally I'd eat w/ pita.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

makes about 1.5 cups of hummus

1 10 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
1 large roasted red pepper
1 1/2 tsp. tahini
1/4 c. lemon juice (the juice of about 1 lemon)
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 clove garlic

Rinse beans until the foam disappears. Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Enjoy w/ veggies or pita chips as a dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment