Friday, May 9, 2014

Simple Olive Oil Granola

How much does does a box of cereal cost nowadays anyhow?  No idea.  I don't eat it often but when I do, there's always something about it that makes me question how 'healthy' the box claims it is.  Seriously, those boxes don't expire for like years sometimes.  Not to mention, people are so picky (present company included) that I'd rather just make a batch and call it good.  That way, I don't have to pick around any of the unappealing dried fruit nuggets that are floating around in a suspiciously even pattern probably due to some chemical that was injected in to the box.  That's how my mind works.


Do yourself a fave and make a weekly batch to eat for bfast w/ milk or as a snack w/ yogurt.

I'll probably be eating all this granola on my own since it may not appeal to local palates.  Not mentioning names (and hint: it isn't Kuen) but someone in my house still loves blue box mac and cheese (bleh).  The olive oil adds a very interesting but subtle depth and the salt highlights this very slightly sweet granola.  I imagine substituting coconut oil instead of olive would also be good and catapult things into the coconut stratosphere.  Coconut is so trendy right now, I love it.


The texture is K-I-L-L-I-N-G me.

Simple Granola

adapted from this recipe

makes about 6 cups

3 c old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 c unsweetened coconut chips (Bob's)
1 1/2 c raw nuts (I used slivered almonds)
1/2 c seeds (I used pumpkin)
1/2 to 1 tsp kosher salt (I like my salt)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (might sub pumpkin pie spice next time)
1/2 c good quality maple syrup
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven at 300 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients together, sprinkle with salt and cinnamon.  Combine oil and maple syrup together and mix in to oat mixture.  Spread on to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Total bake time is about 60 minutes but stop at 15 minute intervals to toss the mixture around to ensure even toasting.  Cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.


This stuff baking is better than an aromatherapy candle.

No comments:

Post a Comment